Saturday, April 26, 2008

My Last Night In USM Engineering Campus...

Tonight, will be the very last night I have myself in here, USM Engineering Campus. Now I am still packing, taking off some time to put few words on the blog (phew, many things to throw away...). Linkin Park’s song is playing on and on:

Leave Out All the Rest
...
...
...
...
...
When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done,
Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed,
Don't resent me, and when you're feeling empty,
Keep me in your memory; leave out all the rest,
Leave out all the rest...

After 4 years, many things have happened, many things have changed. I am not quite exposed to the working environment for an engineer, although I had my industrial training (Sigh... what I got from the training was that I just want to forget about it). I hope it will not be SO tough. I know I have a lot of things (I mean really A LOT) to learn once I step into the working environment. All the things I have learned since 4 years ago, I guess it will not constitute much of the required knowledge and skills of an engineer in a practical environment. I still remember what I used to put in my report card for the occupation that I wanted to be when I have grown up, when I was in primary school. Besides Doctor (Guess I wasn’t being born to have a pair of healing hands and blood, a taboo for me), Lawyer (I was quite an introvert back then. Lawyer? C’mon...), Postman (Wow, what was I thinking- may be I thought people would be happy to receive a letter back then), Farmer (I guess I just wanted everyone to have enough to eat, was it my thinking then? I am not sure...) and Engineer (Yeah, I am one now, without experience).

At first, I was interested to become a Civil Engineer. I wanted to construct building. I had it on my mind when I was in Form 5 & Form 6. So what made me changed my mind back then? I guess it was when I was working part time in a company selling pump equipment. Has the reason being obvious? But it’s not quite of what happened actually that made me changed my mind. Thought I changed my mind because I had something to deal with pump equipments? I was not that interested at that time into pump, I was just an office assistant. One of the clerks there, which I was quite friendly with, as we always used to joke among ourselves. She told me that her husband (a Bumiputra) was involved in the field of Civil Engineering (had a company by himself, if I am not mistaken). She said to me that the future was not really bright for Civil Engineering, explaining the situation of her husband. I was not sure of what she said was the truth as I didn’t have any knowledge in the field of engineering. I guessed from that time on, I started to look at what kind of engineer most advertised in the newspaper. May be it was not really effective, but I did anyway, just for reference purpose.

I loved Chemistry very much (actually I love science). That was why I scored every time in the Chemistry subject in the SPM and STPM. Among the 3 science subjects, I loved Chemistry the most, second was Biology and least favorite was Physics. Then I thought of being a Chemical Engineer was not a bad idea, being involved in a field that I had interest in. Seemed really good, right? It was good until I came to work in a chemical soldering factory after I quitted my pump equipment company’s job (the reason was money, the root of all evil). I worked as a laboratory technician for a salary of a couple of hundreds ringgit higher than the previous job. So what to expect in a chemical industry? Expect a lot of chemicals. Chemical, of any type, spells danger. That was all I had learned at the factory. Even working at the office upstairs and occasionally came down to take some samples to measure; I thought the environment was too risky. Lucky I didn’t have any major accident (a minor one almost killed me and my friend, sigh...), so I don’t want to spend my life in that kind of situation. Fumes all around, made me uncomfortable. Some people say ambition is important, ordinary people with sky- high ambition or something like that (in Chinese). So what if I liked Chemistry so much? It didn’t really matter, didn’t even weighted heavy enough to be mattered.

The time to make decision was due, to apply for courses in IPTA (local university). “Wow, I had 8 choices? Hmm... Let me think for a moment... ”. I wasted two choices, 1st and 2nd as I put medical field’s course (Doctor actually). Not quite sure why, guessed it was strategy to hope for the most prestigious course. Many people done that, so I was not alone (I was not alone being a dumb). I guessed I was out of my mind, if I was given the course, what about my taboo (thought of fighting the taboo if I really got the course)? I was lucky or not? I was not sure. The rest of the choices except for 3rd and 4th didn’t really matter. I think I put Chemical and Civil Engineer too among the choices, after 3rd and 4th choices. The IPTA I chosen was only two, UM and USM. The 3rd choice was Mechanical Engineering from USM and the 4th was the same course, in UM. The reasons for that particular permutation were some sort of personal reasons, which were complicated. I thought at that time it would be alright if any of the concerned IPTAs accepted me as they are the most famous around the country (that’s why now there’s many survey like this).

Why Mechanical Engineering? It was the newspaper’s advertisements, those I used to refer for most advertised position of engineer whenever I flipped a newspaper back then. I had a couple of choices though, it was Mechanical or Electronic. Not sure now still have the trend, but the two were most sought- after engineering field’s positions. The decision was easy, I wasn’t really into Electronic, it was a subject in my opinion, that I have nothing to grasp, and studying the electricity flowing through some components wasn’t really the cup of tea I would like to drink. Then thought of Mechanical, so much caught my attention at that time (when my knowledge about the field was nil). Vehicles, machines, robots and air conditioning systems were what I could think of in Mechanical Engineering field. I like those areas. So, a Degree in Mechanical Engineering came in that kind of way, for me. If given a choice, may be the way of obtaining it would be different but it would still be Mechanical, no doubt.

I guess I must start to adjust my study’s sleeping time to suit the working’s sleeping time. It has just passed midnight. Working life starts in May, after all I still have a week or so to reset and refresh myself before a new beginning sets in. Feeling a bit tired, just hoping for comfortable and simple life in the future.

Till’ the next chapter commences, this chapter will be making way for it, surely it will...

PS: Forgot I was packing, but not much left, hehe...

No comments: