Thursday, March 20, 2008

07.09.07, A FATEFUL FRIDAY- Part I, Not My Usual Self... Time: 8.05 am- 1.45pm

It was a day that began with me waking up at 8.05 am, a typical time to wake up whenever I have a class at 9 am. The day actually had a test for me at 9 am, a 2nd test for the course of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. Everything was like usual; I had my breakfast and then off to the school for the test. After finishing the test and had some classes that followed the timetable, I took my lunch and found myself ready to ride home. The time was around 1.30pm.

USUALLY I wouldn’t have go home at the afternoon, maybe due to the hot sun but I did quite often went home by bike on weekends, USUALLY at a later noon, around 4 or 5 pm. BUT that day somehow, I decided to go home at 1.30pm. The sky was getting dark actually, and as I was about to leave, I coincidentally bumped into one of my friends who was staying opposite me. I didn’t used to see him when I was about to go home on weekends unless I was going to hitch a ride from him. BUT I saw him that day, he said to me it was better for me to call home to check whether the town area was already raining and told me to postpone my ride home if it was raining (or maybe later could hitch a ride from him as he actually went home on that day). SOMEHOW I didn’t (BUT I thought to do so…), I said to him that probably wouldn’t be raining soon although the sky was dark. As I was about to leave after saying those words, an uneasy feeling struck me but I didn’t care anyway, proceeded to take my bike.

AS I always would have used the main entrance to exit my campus, SOMEHOW that day I used the 2nd side entrance. The 2nd side entrance was constructed not long ago (about 1 months or so prior to that Fateful Friday, as I could remember), to facilitate people coming into the campus from the other side of the area. It is also a much shorter distance to get out of my campus. I was there, waiting for the lights to go green. I could have turn left, the usual way to follow if I were to head onto the PLUS highway. OR I could have gone straight, which I never ever done it before (before 07.09.07). As I wait for the lights, I was thinking that going straight might probably leaded me out faster that turning left. The lights went green, and I went STRAIGHT, until a point that I thought, “Shit…, there is no way out here(or maybe I didn’t know how to get out of there), it is a housing estate that only has the road that I took to come in to go out…”. So, I made a turn out of the housing estate and found myself waiting again for the lights. Opposite me was my campus, the sky was getting darker, seemed to be raining anytime. I thought of going back into campus and just forget about getting home that weekend. The light went green BUT I turned RIGHT (which was WRONG), on the way to the PLUS highway.

After a long straight road, I came to a traffic light. Turning left would have lead me to the main entrance of my campus, turning right would be the right way as I was heading to the PLUS highway. There came the TRICK (I don’t know what to call it, makes me shivered every time thinking of it). I was waiting for the green light. After I thought the green light was supposed to light on my side, it didn’t. Some cars moved from the adjacent lane. Then I waited (just me on my lane). The second time the green light was supposed to be on my side, it didn’t light up again. That time, not even one vehicle was at the traffic light, small droplets of rain seemed to be falling. The third time around, though, was still not my turn. BUT I took a RIGHT (turned out later to be WRONG) turn, as there was not even one vehicle along the long straight road. I wondered if the green light was on or not after I left the junction, but as long as I had waited at there, I was only seeing RED. (Recently heard a theory from my Civil Engineering friend, saying that at the junction, underneath the white stripe where we used to stop while waiting, there lays a magnet to control the traffic light. But as we went along discussing it, we still could not conclude that some roads in PG (especially the road in front of the main entrance of my campus) are having this kind of system. Some KL roads may be having it. The magnet, if it cannot detect there is a vehicle above it, will control the traffic light to allow other lanes’ vehicles to flow). Was the magnet unable to detect my bike? I was over the line? Not sure about that, not even sure if the system existing underneath.

No comments: