Friday, March 21, 2008

07.09.07, A FATEFUL FRIDAY- Part III, At The Petrol Station. Time: 3.25pm- 3.50pm

I straight away picked myself up (didn’t even realize I was standing up by myself), hopping (a little like walking limply, dragging one leg with another or... whatever) to pick up my shoe about 5m away. The road was empty but usually it’s not (Thank God, I was so lucky on my Fateful Day) and it was silent too, I couldn’t hear a noise, it was hard to describe but it was almost like a scene from The Matrix (Revolution, Reloaded or whatever...). After picking up the shoe, I really didn’t know where to go, I saw my bike over the opposite lane in front of the PETRONAS, naturally I was heading that way...

The engine was running though (the clutch was engaged as my bike leaned left on the road), then I saw a couple of Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) personnel. They drove a white Proton Wira, one was asking if I was ok, then the other picked up my bike. Then I thought one of the RMAF guys asked me what happened, my answer was: “That shit van la, coming so fast from side...”. I wasn’t able to finish the whole sentence, didn’t know why. Suddenly I felt that:” Shit, my leg hurts”. They asked me to go into the petrol station to wait for medical personnel to come, asked if I could walk there, I said it was ok, then just dragged myself into the station.

I came to the counter where bikers fill in their tanks. I was given a chair, and there I sat. The counter was wet, and I could see my left foot was oozing out blood (though I didn’t know how bad it had been), painting red on the floor of the counter. My jacket and my jeans (can’t even imagine not wearing a jean) were torn, and lied beneath them were my wounds, I just could see two places on my arm wounded, my palm, and my left knee was bleeding, besides my left foot, where it hurts the most. There were quite a number of guys at there, though the RMAF guys left. Then the question started to came in, it was the same question, and it was the same answer too. Then I remembered a Chinese man at there, he said: “You need to call your family, what is their number? The ambulance is coming...”. Then he handed to me his mobile, I called home, my brother answered the call, I told him I got an accident, told him to tell my mom. My mom wasn’t there, so I couldn’t talk to her. I hung up. Then the Chinese man said again: “Have you called your family?”. Then I said: “I need to call my dad”. But I couldn’t reach him, so I just gave him back the mobile. Then he asked me the question of the day again. Answer was the same again.

After about 5 minutes, I was still sitting there; the floor below me was messy with my blood. I was cold and all wet, therefore I shivered a lot. My heart was pounding hard and I started to feel cold sweat all over my body. Then I started to wonder when the ambulance would come, because as long as I was sitting there, the people didn’t dare to come close and give a help. I understood their situation; they might not know this kind of things, but at least, I expected someone to come and stop my foot from bleeding, the response was negative. I prayed to God:”Please help me through this, whatever it might be...”

Suddenly, I heard siren. I thought like:”It must be ambulance”. The Chinese man also said in chinese:”Nah, lai liao, qia (car) lai liao”. I was expecting so much as I really wanted to just get through it as I already started the beginning (fall from the bike), it must have an end (in hospital bed? I wasn’t sure that time because I never had it before). Then I saw a red vehicle (with emergency light and siren) passed by (I mean just passing by, it DIDN’T come in) the petrol station. Then some guys at the station said: “Bukan kut, Bomba tu” (or whatever they said it was). Soon after, the siren faded. HUH? I was like falling from the highest elevation on Earth, besides being hurt, hopelessness was slowly creeping in to eat me. But what could I do? I had to wait for the ambulance to come (then started to think that the ambulance might come from Seberang Jaya Hospital, think that it might spend some time reaching here). It might take 15 minutes or so for the ambulance to get here if it came from Seberang Jaya. Thinking, thinking and thinking... Hopelessness started to digest me. Then a guy, I thought he was working in the station, came in front of me, and started to put tissues to cover my foot (where it bled). Although he had just simply put it, like one tissue after another on top of the wound, I really thanked him for his helpfulness, he was like a Doom’s Day Saviour.

Soon, it was the familiar siren again, although it sounded faintly, but it was getting louder. Then I saw the red van (the one that earlier passed- by) came into the petrol station. At first, I never gave much thought to it, I didn’t know why; maybe I didn’t have the energy to think anymore. Suddenly, helpers came out of the van (they were there to save me, hurray... ). I didn’t get the excited emotion actually, just for the sake of this writing. Let me introduce the red van, it was a voluntary “Bomba dan Penyelamat” vehicle, coming from Raja Uda branch. I guessed it right initially, it was coming for me. The reason behind the blunder was that they thought the accident (mine) and therefore the victim (me) were happened to be on the roadside after the accident, so they didn’t come into the petrol station, they were looking for me along the roadside instead. For me, as long as they came before I bleed myself to death; it was already my answered prayer (Thank God).

There were 4 people coming out of the van if not mistaken, one was the driver, one was the emergency volunteer (he knew how to first aid) and the others were helpers, I thought... The first aid guy, known to me as Michael Tan, attended to my leg. He cut opened the left side of my jeans, started nursing my left knee. Then started to ask me a lot of questions, one eventually came out as the MOST asked question of the Day (a Fateful one, for sure). He asked:”Do you know what happened?”, “Where you came from before the accident?”, “Where were you heading to?”, “How did it happen?”, “Do you feel headaches?”, “Did you faint?”, “Have you called your family” and some of others. I thought he just wanted to make sure that I didn’t bang my head and I didn’t have a concussion. Then, I saw him washing my wounds and bandaged my foot. It was fast (a professional’s work), but I felt that my foot was a bit numb, not sure what had caused it, guessed it was the cold weather, a cold and shivering me (I had been shivered since sitting down the chair, the shiver was so bad, it was like a 10 HZ frequency- 10 shivers/ second), the pain subdued. The helpers brought down a stretcher, asked if I could get up from the chair onto the stretcher, I got up and lied on it. To their surprise, the stretcher didn’t fit me though, it was of a standard size, I think(not sure which standard are refered, or it’s just me being...), but I got strapped up anyway and being carried into the vehicle.

The vehicle was moving and the siren started again, I thought I was on the way (to put an end to that Fateful Day), but absolutely not sure what for were waiting me at the end of the day...

No comments: