Saturday, March 22, 2008

07.09.07, A FATEFUL FRIDAY- Part IV, Along The Way... Time: 3.50pm- 4.05pm

Even with the straps all over me, a blanket on top of me, I was still shivering, more than ever (20HZ, I think...). Tan (I salute him to be a Mr., unless he has other recognition), the volunteer, began to check my pulse, blood pressure and then explained to me that we were on the way to Seberang Jaya Hospital. I agreed and asked whether my foot injury was serious or not (God, I needed a lot of affirmations at that time), he said it was not that bad (Urm… He didn’t answer my question in that way though). He then asked why I was shivering like hell (in a polite way, of course). Maybe he thought it was more than 20HZ (Haha...). I said I had been through rains, dried and being wet again an hour ago, so I could not control myself (Really, it was like all my motor- neurons going haywire, causing my muscle to relax and contract unpredictably, not even the central nervous system (my brain + my weakened mind power) is able to contain it). He, being a very nice person and probably my lifesaver, cover me with another blanket and held my hands (Urm, wait a minute...). Come to think of it now, it was ok for me because in that kind of situation, anybody would need a helping hand.

He then took my particulars, then asked for my family’s contact number and said he would call them after I reached the hospital. I said “Thanks a lot” and after a while of short conversation, he again questioned me with the earlier inquiries, luckily again my mind was still clear to be able to field them with same answers as I had before.

Being in an ambulance (although not a white one) had been a first experience for me on that Friday. It was noisy in such a way that everybody knows what to do when hearing one, so that people can lend a way to other people that might have a lot of “time” to catch. I was inside it, secured by the stretcher that turned out to be locked by the base of the ambulance. Facing upward, nothing much to see though. There were windows, through them were a dark sky and some flyovers, were all that I could have see along the way.

FINALLY, the siren stopped. I guessed that I was inside the hospital area, as the ambulance slowly came to a halt. Mr. Tan and fellows got off the ambulance, opened the doors, and I could see in front of me, was the door to the emergency room of the Seberang Jaya Hospital (I knew it because I had been there prior to that Fateful Friday). Mr. Tan ensured me again that all would be ok (I really wanted that way but I know it would not be that easy) and his colleagues started to do their jobs. The locks were left undone, and I was being stretched out of the ambulance. It was a rough bump onto the floor too (What else could I ask for, better to be bumped while on a stretcher than being bumped inside a coffin. At least now I can have a say for being bumped while on a stretcher. Inside a coffin, nothing else matters...).

Getting some smells of disinfectant, typically synonymous with hospital, there I went, inside the emergency room...

No comments: