Thursday, March 20, 2008

07.09.07, A FATEFUL FRIDAY- Part II, It Happened... Time: 1.45pm- 3.25pm

The time was 1.45pm and it was raining... I pulled aside into a Shell petrol station, to get a shelter from the rain (before that, I usually wouldn’t bother, just straight heading to home even when it was raining). There were some motorists too, for the same reason as me, stuck inside the petrol station. As I could remember, there was a Malay couple, a Pakcik and an Indian man, together with me, waiting for the rain to stop. I wasn’t all wet though, sitting there, wondering when the rain would stop. Although waiting helplessly, I had not much thought that day, an unusually me. Connected my earphone, I was listening to some songs from my phone (I usually done this while riding home). Seeing people came in and out of the station, to fill their vehicle. It was half an hour past, the Indian man had left with his raincoat on, it was still raining heavily. Soon after that, the Pakcik left too, the rain was seemed to cease. But as I was preparing to leave, the rain suddenly became heavier again, so seemingly that I was unable to get home any sooner. 15 more minutes had passed, it was THE time to leave (still raining though, but lightly), as the Malay couple went out of the station, I ensued.


It was about 2.30pm, I guessed, as I was about to enter the Jawi Toll Plaza. Typically, I took mostly 1 hour 5 minutes to reach home, so at that time of the day, eventually I would be at home about 3.35pm (which I didn’t, on THAT day). As usual, I was heading north on the PLUS highway, hearing some songs on the phone (forgot what the songs were). Suddenly I was thinking like: “Shit, the rain is coming again, heavier that ever”. Not that I never before going home in this kind of situation, so I didn’t give much thought about it, just continued my journey. After 15 minutes, I was totally wet. I didn’t mind either, as I would always think:”I will take a nice bath anyway after reaching home”. So I continued and nothing much along the way before I exited the PLUS highway (the songs were still playing...).

The time, I estimated was about 3.20pm as I reached the Bagan Ajam traffic lights. It rained also in the Bagan Ajam area, although it had stopped before I arrived there. I was wet, a bit shaky as the air was cold. Suddenly, my songs weren’t playing. Never before my phone was like that, USUALLY the songs would be played until I reached home. As I was about to leave the junction, I felt some kind weird sensation below my nose, some kind of electrical sensation. I thought: “Damn, my phone must have gone functionless after soaking by the rainwater. The electrical sensation must be some kind of short circuit from my phone (I was TOTALLY wet)”. So, I pulled over by a bus stop to check my phone, it was alright, still functioning, nothing was wrong although it was a bit wet. But the program that played the songs stopped, didn’t know why it STOPPED.

Slipped the phone inside my pocket, I continued my way home. The time was 3.25pm, about 10 more minutes I would be home for sure. That Fateful Friday of 07.09.07, come to think of it, had JUST too much of the unusual things that happened. First, it was coincidentally bumped into my friend (I really had only bumped into him on THAT day when I was going home, roughly put it, it was like a 1/50 chance). Second, I went out by the 2nd side entrance. Third, it was taking a road by mistake that leaded me into a housing estate which I thought would have leaded me faster to the PLUS highway. Fourth was the traffic light that never turned GREEN. Fifth, I pulled over to seek a shelter- which I wouldn’t normally do even it was raining cats and dogs. Sixth, it was my phone that went dead playing the songs.

The seventh “unexplained” was about to happen. AGAIN, usually I would stop by the twin petrol stations (slightly located opposite each other along the road I would have passed enroute to my home) of CALTEX and PETRONAS. I mean I would usually stop by CALTEX (3/4 chance) (never before at PETRONAS), to fill the pressure for my tyres (I learned a lesson before, never to fill the tyres and immediately take a long journey as it would increase chances of the tyres bursting). BUT that day, as I approaching CALTEX, I thought it was ok just to go home straight and fill the tyres tomorrow or so. SO I didn’t stop and it happened on that Fateful Friday…

A van (a silver van indeed, and sitting inside the van was the MOST stupid driver the Earth ever had!) was about to come out from the exit of the CALTEX petrol station. I saw it at about 30m to the exit and thought it would eventually come out, so I shifted more to the middle of the road and IN CASE it came out suddenly, it would have sufficient space to drive along the side of the road and I would be able to have some space in the middle and I would not have crash into it. I also thought of in case it came out of a sudden and was driving slowly along the side of the road (normally a not insane driver would do), it was better for me to overtake it by riding on the middle section of the road. WHO KNEW, it really came out and being the Stupidest Driver on Earth, the BASTARD (indeed a Stupid BASTARD) didn’t seem to like it very much driving slowly along the side of the road, IT just shifted ITS van so fast onto the middle of the road! What the hell!

There I was, on that DAMN Fateful Friday, on the middle of the road. In front of me, about 1 m was the rear portion of the van, I was at about 80 km/h (as I thought to overtake the BASTARD) and I hit hard on the rear brake (Drum brake), I knew it couldn’t stop much in a DAMN situation like that, I hit hard too on the front wheel brake, a Disc brake. The road was wet, and there I was, lost control of the handlebar as my front wheel was locked up and skidded, my bike flung about 10 m to the opposite side of the road in front of me as I was sliding on the MIDDLE of the road!

Recently I read an article about scientists that were trying to determine whether the length of time for a person in any case of emergency, would seem to be longer than the reality passing time. I forgot how they actually did the experiment but the conclusion from them were the reality passing time was the same, be it in an emergency or not but the person in the state of emergency felt that the time of emergency was longer than the time that they thought they had endured in the absence of the emergency situation. I think the person who endured the longer period in the experiment was right to say that the time period would seem longer in an emergency.

 AS I was sliding on the middle of the road (considered lucky to slide instead of just hit the ground and stopped. The rainy day was a perfect day for sliding too and if given a sunny day, sliding would not be that much of a simple situation), with my legs at behind and head forefront (helmet still attached), the period was like a 10 seconds of length, in my thought. Roughly estimated from the distant I had slide, it should only take mostly 3 seconds in reality for me to come to a stop. But I had endured it about 3 times the reality time in my mind! The world was upside down during the 10 seconds inside my mind (3 seconds in reality) as I could see the mosque beside the road, the sky, then the surface of the road and then the petrol station, all blended up in a messy combination. Although the period was quite of a length (10 seconds), I just couldn’t think of anything, it was like... BLANK!

FINALLY, I came to a stop...

No comments: